COUNSELOR-IN-TRAINING (C.I.T.) PROGRAM
Designed for rising Juniors and rising Seniors in high school. Wheeler Summer’s Counselor in Training program is specifically designed for teens who want to develop their leadership skills, work in a camp setting, and upon completion, be eligible for working with children.
- Participants must have minimally completed their sophomore year of high school.
- 4-week program starting during Mini Camp (June 20-July 11)
- Week 1: Classroom-style learning and Camp Activities
- Week 2: Shadowing areas of camp and classroom learning
- Weeks 3 & 4: Two-week observations throughout different areas of camps. All C.I.T.S will receive feedback throughout the process.
- Officially Graduate CIT Program – eligible for employment at Wheeler Summer for the following summer.
- Please note: Wheeler Summer takes pride in our staffing model. All staff and counselors are, at a minimum, high school graduates. Successful completion of the C.I.T. program is the only way for high school students to become eligible for employment to work at our camp.
Our C.I.T. program is designed for our older campers and teens interested in working with children and in becoming summer camp counselors. Participants will learn about behavior management, team-building, communication, and activity leadership by helping counselors work with younger campers and through classroom learning. Directed and led by our Counselor-in-Training staff team, your teen will have the hands-on opportunity to assist group counselors, teach activities, and plan special events. Participants will complete a camp-specific First Aid and CPR certification training and will have an opportunity to practice for future job interviews. Each C.I.T. will be evaluated throughout the session and will receive constant feedback to help them improve their skills and overall experience. All registered C.I.T.s will receive an additional information packet from the C.I.T. Staff prior to camp.
Upon successful completion of the program and an invitation from camp management, C.I.T.s may be hired as a summer staff (paid position) for following summers.
We only take a small group of applicants, so if you’re seriously interested in taking part, please follow the steps below. Space is limited.
- Call the camp office to request a CIT application.
- Once the application is returned, the camp administration team will reach out to set up an interview.
- 3 written letters of recommendation will need to be submitted at the time of the interview.
- Once the C.I.T. is accepted in the program, parents must register them through the portal and pay the program fee of $200.